Some Thoughts about Research...
Looking at the 40"x48" poster laid out on my bed tonight, which by Saturday morning would be hung up on one those hundreds of poster boards at Anaheim Convention Center, one would have no idea how much effort and time I have spent working on this project this past year. After tedious data processing, everything has been downsized to 4 figures and 3 conclusions and I even had to place extra pictures in the poster in order to make it look less "empty".
I guess, this is research life to many - hard work years after years without any recognition and then one single revolutionary discovery will shoot you right up into the sky, not to mention those who were never lucky enough to be given that break. Even though I am not looking to become a researcher for the rest of my life, I must say that after having gone through these experiences personally, I will never look at a poster the same way as I did before. At least now, I can appreciate fully that the student/presenter had definitely committed a large amount of time and energy into doing the research work and also in poster construction as well (even if I don't really understand what their project is about =/).
I think I am really, really lucky to be given the opportunity to work in the Tonge lab. It's one of the largest lab on campus and Prof. Tonge is indeed one of the best professors on campus who are very willing to teach students and let them grow and learn. Even though I learned most of the experimental techniques from my graduate mentor Howard, both Prof. Tonge and Howard always gives me the help and advice whenever I needed it, or even when I think I don't need it =X So this Saturday, I just want to give my best shot at the poster competition, not to win the competition, but to overcome my own barrier in public speaking and handling on-site questions that the audience may have. If I can do that, I will have achieved my own personal goals of attending this conference - to gain exposure in a scientific setting, to build up confidence, and to network with other fellow students from all over the world.
So. Yeeee-ha! Getting ready to rock Anaheim!!
Also, this week is like the Golden Week of Acceptances for me - received 3 acceptances within 4 days, with the latest ones by Buffalo and Rutgers, which means, I have been accepted by all 4 Pharmacy schools that I applied to! Gosh! The feeling is overwhelming, to the point that I actually began to think that if only I have applied to Medical schools, I would be on my way to becoming a physician instead of a pharmacist since the application process is the same and the tuition costs is about the same too =.="' Well, I just really want to thank God for all these opportunities that He has given me in my life. Sis said that, wow suddenly, you're so WANTED by Pharmacy schools. I said, no it wasn't because that I am lucky or it's easy to get in. it must be because it is God's will that my hard work throughout these past few years have paid off. and believe me when i say it's not me, because i would not have survived these crazy 3 years if it weren't for the strength that Jesus had provided me. i am so weak on my own i can't even withstand temptation to waste time and procrastinate, but He brought me through it all. I'm praying that He will continue to lend me His strength, and also to my sister as well as she waits for her acceptance. The direction of her future depends on that acceptance letter.
I guess, this is research life to many - hard work years after years without any recognition and then one single revolutionary discovery will shoot you right up into the sky, not to mention those who were never lucky enough to be given that break. Even though I am not looking to become a researcher for the rest of my life, I must say that after having gone through these experiences personally, I will never look at a poster the same way as I did before. At least now, I can appreciate fully that the student/presenter had definitely committed a large amount of time and energy into doing the research work and also in poster construction as well (even if I don't really understand what their project is about =/).
I think I am really, really lucky to be given the opportunity to work in the Tonge lab. It's one of the largest lab on campus and Prof. Tonge is indeed one of the best professors on campus who are very willing to teach students and let them grow and learn. Even though I learned most of the experimental techniques from my graduate mentor Howard, both Prof. Tonge and Howard always gives me the help and advice whenever I needed it, or even when I think I don't need it =X So this Saturday, I just want to give my best shot at the poster competition, not to win the competition, but to overcome my own barrier in public speaking and handling on-site questions that the audience may have. If I can do that, I will have achieved my own personal goals of attending this conference - to gain exposure in a scientific setting, to build up confidence, and to network with other fellow students from all over the world.
So. Yeeee-ha! Getting ready to rock Anaheim!!
Also, this week is like the Golden Week of Acceptances for me - received 3 acceptances within 4 days, with the latest ones by Buffalo and Rutgers, which means, I have been accepted by all 4 Pharmacy schools that I applied to! Gosh! The feeling is overwhelming, to the point that I actually began to think that if only I have applied to Medical schools, I would be on my way to becoming a physician instead of a pharmacist since the application process is the same and the tuition costs is about the same too =.="' Well, I just really want to thank God for all these opportunities that He has given me in my life. Sis said that, wow suddenly, you're so WANTED by Pharmacy schools. I said, no it wasn't because that I am lucky or it's easy to get in. it must be because it is God's will that my hard work throughout these past few years have paid off. and believe me when i say it's not me, because i would not have survived these crazy 3 years if it weren't for the strength that Jesus had provided me. i am so weak on my own i can't even withstand temptation to waste time and procrastinate, but He brought me through it all. I'm praying that He will continue to lend me His strength, and also to my sister as well as she waits for her acceptance. The direction of her future depends on that acceptance letter.
Comments