Balancing Your Account

Let's talk about some finance issue now.

I've just received letters from TCF bank that I owe them $296! My eyes totally bulged like what you would see in cartoons @.@ Since when I owe the bank any money when I've just deposited enough money to cover? Upon further investigation, it appears that I've written one too many checks and the bank "helped" me pay for the last check before my balance turned negative. After the balance is negative, they started charging $28 per day for the overdraft fees, up till today even.

The letters came a bit too late, didn't they? I remembered having set up overdraft protection when I signed up for the account in school, so I was really, really confused by this situation. So I called up Customer Service today and haggled about the fees that I "owe" them now. Well, apparently I did sign up for the overdraft protection - but only for my check card, not my checks...What the heck? I wasn't explained the difference when I signed up??!

I continued to haggle until the agent offered to take off $28 from the balance, which didn't mean anything at all...And I continued to haggle and plea, until she agreed to ask her supervisor about it. She came back to the phone and told me that her supervisor has agreed to take off $83 from the balance which is about 3 days worth. Now that is a much more significant amount than the original $28, so I was resigned and be forced to feel satisfied about it. So then, I'll have to pay $213 by 3pm tomorrow (Monday) in order to maintain a positive balance in my account at TCF.

My goodness. I've learned a huge lesson here! Never again am I going to be caught paying overdraft fees or ANY other unnecessary penalties to banks or financial institutions! It's the stupidest thing to do when all you have to do is keep yourself updated with the balance in your accounts. I know I deposited enough money to cover all my checks. BUT, a big BUT, I totally forgot that I had withdrawn a large sum of cash for emergency (when I did not have enough cash to pay for rent the other time). That was what brought me down to negative balance when my checks kept being cashed....

Sigh...please learn from my lesson this time and in the meantime, I'll have to come up with cash to pay for the most ridiculous penalty I have ever received in my life (not even the parking tickets count as ridiculous as this)!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming!!

Praise Be To God...