Failed Attempt to Donate Blood...
Seriously, I don't know whether to be proud or angry with these people.
First, I made an appointment at the University Hospital on Wednesday to donate blood today, 2:30pm. The person who wrote down my appointment on the book, didn't do anything, like take my weight, test my blood and stuff first. She just told me to get very well hydrated and eat all my meals regularly before the donation day. And so, I ate very well these two days, mind you, I usually just get a $1.90 cheese pizza every lunch cos it's the cheapest, but today I bought myself a chicken sandwich with fried chicken breast meat, tomatoes, lettuce and topped with honey mustard, which cost me $5.76. That's a huge difference for me, and that's how far I would go in order to be able to donate blood, further if need be.
Then I made my way to the hospital's blood bank. Upon reaching there, I was told by the receptionist that I need to fill out some paperwork and stuff, then she commented that I'll definitely have to be weighed before the donation, cos she thinks I may not hit the minimum weight. Well, okay, I knew everyone has to be weighed first before anything else, and I was expecting that on Wednesday when I made the appointment so that if I didn't hit the mark, I won't need to make the appointment in vain.
As you may have guessed, I didn't reach the minimum weight. AAAHHHHH!!! I was so so so angry. Their minimum weight is 110 lbs(~48.9kg), and my weight on the scales was 106 lbs. Eh, just 4 lbs short not very big deal, right? or no? I'm not med student, so I really don't know. What the nurse told me was that if I donated blood today, I'll need my own blood back even before I leave the hospital. Well that was funny, but it didn't alleviate the extreme irritation that I was feeling. If you knew I was on the borderline, why didn't you weigh me when I was making the appointment? You just had to make me walk all the way to the hospital and back again under the terrible sun right? -.-
Anyways, it got my attention though. I have lost weight since I came to US!! How is that possible?? I once reached 50.4kg when I was in Singapore! and now the scales told me that I'm about 47kg?? All this while I thought I've gained a lot of weight, from all the sitting around studying and not doing any sports for about a year and a half, that's why I thought I could donate blood already. But still, sad case. Just 4 lbs short and they won't let me do it. Never mind!! I shall persist!! I'll go back again once I hit 110 lbs in the future! Won't be long :p
First, I made an appointment at the University Hospital on Wednesday to donate blood today, 2:30pm. The person who wrote down my appointment on the book, didn't do anything, like take my weight, test my blood and stuff first. She just told me to get very well hydrated and eat all my meals regularly before the donation day. And so, I ate very well these two days, mind you, I usually just get a $1.90 cheese pizza every lunch cos it's the cheapest, but today I bought myself a chicken sandwich with fried chicken breast meat, tomatoes, lettuce and topped with honey mustard, which cost me $5.76. That's a huge difference for me, and that's how far I would go in order to be able to donate blood, further if need be.
Then I made my way to the hospital's blood bank. Upon reaching there, I was told by the receptionist that I need to fill out some paperwork and stuff, then she commented that I'll definitely have to be weighed before the donation, cos she thinks I may not hit the minimum weight. Well, okay, I knew everyone has to be weighed first before anything else, and I was expecting that on Wednesday when I made the appointment so that if I didn't hit the mark, I won't need to make the appointment in vain.
As you may have guessed, I didn't reach the minimum weight. AAAHHHHH!!! I was so so so angry. Their minimum weight is 110 lbs(~48.9kg), and my weight on the scales was 106 lbs. Eh, just 4 lbs short not very big deal, right? or no? I'm not med student, so I really don't know. What the nurse told me was that if I donated blood today, I'll need my own blood back even before I leave the hospital. Well that was funny, but it didn't alleviate the extreme irritation that I was feeling. If you knew I was on the borderline, why didn't you weigh me when I was making the appointment? You just had to make me walk all the way to the hospital and back again under the terrible sun right? -.-
Anyways, it got my attention though. I have lost weight since I came to US!! How is that possible?? I once reached 50.4kg when I was in Singapore! and now the scales told me that I'm about 47kg?? All this while I thought I've gained a lot of weight, from all the sitting around studying and not doing any sports for about a year and a half, that's why I thought I could donate blood already. But still, sad case. Just 4 lbs short and they won't let me do it. Never mind!! I shall persist!! I'll go back again once I hit 110 lbs in the future! Won't be long :p
Comments