Yes. It's Spring Break!!!
I'm so in need of a break, so this one week break is really a very much appreciated one! :)
The first day of break, Saturday, went to Guggenheim Museum with Cheng Wei! I've always wanted to go to the museum, if not for the love of arts, then let it be for the sake of improving my (lack of) knowledge in that area :p So luckily Cheng Wei is here long enough to accompany me there, cos bro would never had gone to that place with me. In the end, however, I didn't really enjoy Cai Guo-Qiang's exhibition, "I Want To Believe", and instead enjoyed more of the other paintings exhibited. And, Cheng Wei came out of the museum complaining about the politics of the exhibition, China, US, blah blah..And then I felt bad.
Anyway, then we ended up at Central Park again. Central Park seemed to be there upon our feet whenever we made for the city. This just shows how big it is. When we were at a small platform at Turtle Pond, now this was something that I didn't expect. A man came up to the platform too, all smiling and talking to no one, apparently. It turned out that he is a regular animal feeder there(despite the 'no feeding of wild animals' sign set up :p ), and he was actually talking to the birds. He brought with him a lot food to feed the birds, fish/turtle, squirrel AND AND AND raccoons!!! Both of us were so excited to see him starting to feed the birds, and especially when the birds came so close to him and fed off his hand. I saw, from the exchange, the amount of trust that these two species have for each other, and felt truly touched. Although you can say that the birds just wanted the food, but still, when I was given the chance to feed them, they didn't come close to me at all. How nice it would be to have an animal to trust you so wholeheartedly, so purely, and I know that animal for me would be a dog :) Ok, wrong turn in the story. Anyway, when Jim was still calling for this blackbird named George the Third, a raccoon came sniffing for food from underneath the platform!! I was so so so surprised to see a raccoon. A wild one, at first I thought. It turned out that there is a whole pack of them living in the theatre where they are trained for performances during the summer. This particular raccoon was very sporting! He kept posing for Cheng Wei's camera, and held his hands(paws) up as if he was begging for food. He was really cute, but lazy from the fact that he refused to swim for his food. Another animal feeder came afterwards and joined us in the fun of feeding the raccoon, and later at the theatre, the raccoons. We had a free show of raccoons climbing up wooden fences to get food, which comprised of bread, bird food, and guess what? Sugar. Yes, the packet sugar that you use for tea(well, coffee if you like). Seems like they eat anything!
We left after spending about 2 hours plus at Central Park, with a stomach-full of knowledge of the birds, and other random information regarding Central Park and its wildlife. It was really an eye-opening session with Jim and Gabriel. And thanks to them too, Cheng Wei got so many nice shots of the birds and raccoons! :) I would like to post some up here but he has to approve of it first since those are his -.- So wait for the pics if you are interested! :)
[3/18]
Ok! So here are some pics!
The first day of break, Saturday, went to Guggenheim Museum with Cheng Wei! I've always wanted to go to the museum, if not for the love of arts, then let it be for the sake of improving my (lack of) knowledge in that area :p So luckily Cheng Wei is here long enough to accompany me there, cos bro would never had gone to that place with me. In the end, however, I didn't really enjoy Cai Guo-Qiang's exhibition, "I Want To Believe", and instead enjoyed more of the other paintings exhibited. And, Cheng Wei came out of the museum complaining about the politics of the exhibition, China, US, blah blah..And then I felt bad.
Anyway, then we ended up at Central Park again. Central Park seemed to be there upon our feet whenever we made for the city. This just shows how big it is. When we were at a small platform at Turtle Pond, now this was something that I didn't expect. A man came up to the platform too, all smiling and talking to no one, apparently. It turned out that he is a regular animal feeder there(despite the 'no feeding of wild animals' sign set up :p ), and he was actually talking to the birds. He brought with him a lot food to feed the birds, fish/turtle, squirrel AND AND AND raccoons!!! Both of us were so excited to see him starting to feed the birds, and especially when the birds came so close to him and fed off his hand. I saw, from the exchange, the amount of trust that these two species have for each other, and felt truly touched. Although you can say that the birds just wanted the food, but still, when I was given the chance to feed them, they didn't come close to me at all. How nice it would be to have an animal to trust you so wholeheartedly, so purely, and I know that animal for me would be a dog :) Ok, wrong turn in the story. Anyway, when Jim was still calling for this blackbird named George the Third, a raccoon came sniffing for food from underneath the platform!! I was so so so surprised to see a raccoon. A wild one, at first I thought. It turned out that there is a whole pack of them living in the theatre where they are trained for performances during the summer. This particular raccoon was very sporting! He kept posing for Cheng Wei's camera, and held his hands(paws) up as if he was begging for food. He was really cute, but lazy from the fact that he refused to swim for his food. Another animal feeder came afterwards and joined us in the fun of feeding the raccoon, and later at the theatre, the raccoons. We had a free show of raccoons climbing up wooden fences to get food, which comprised of bread, bird food, and guess what? Sugar. Yes, the packet sugar that you use for tea(well, coffee if you like). Seems like they eat anything!
We left after spending about 2 hours plus at Central Park, with a stomach-full of knowledge of the birds, and other random information regarding Central Park and its wildlife. It was really an eye-opening session with Jim and Gabriel. And thanks to them too, Cheng Wei got so many nice shots of the birds and raccoons! :) I would like to post some up here but he has to approve of it first since those are his -.- So wait for the pics if you are interested! :)
[3/18]
Ok! So here are some pics!
Comments