Secret...
It's such a nice movie! Though the quality from Crunchyroll is not really that good, but I'm really glad that it's posted up so quick, but of course, the person was scolded by some hardcore Jay Chou fan for not supporting Jay's production :p I personally appreciate the upload because it will never ever be aired over here. So Crunchyroll is my only means of getting in touch with Asian stuff. Luckily :)
Orientation Day was fine. I went alone but met some new friends to hang out with. People here are really friendly, especially the blacks. The white people, well, I had a feeling that two white girls in my group sort of looked at me with disdain, though they tried not to show it of course and also on another nerdy girl, as in seriously the nerdiest of nerds that I've ever seen before. But she's a person with a unique set of thinking which we all found out during the book discussion session and it certainly blew my mind away when she was talking ;) No bonding games, no group activities. It's an orientation modified to suit the local community needs as mostly everyone already knew somebody in the college. There was just the Presidential Convocation, welcoming us incoming freshmen and then we were sorted into classrooms randomly and there we met with our peer presenter, which is a senior year girl, Tiphanie. After some interaction session between us, a professor came in to lead the book discussion.
I don't think I ever did mention the book here before. The title is The Disappointment Artist by Jonathan Lethem. A collection of essays by him. My only opinion of it is that, if you are not born and bred in America, you'll find that it's a very tedious read. It's mostly Brooklyn-based as the writer lived in Brooklyn for most of his growing up stage. He had a set of very unique taste in movies, comics, as well as obsessions with certain things. And he has a very weird way of presenting his thoughts, not to mention his thoughts themselves too. He had to use a whole string of sentences to present one simple idea, twirling them around, back and forth, all jumbled up. That's his way of writing. Yeah I know, it's writer's license or whatever. He makes you think twice about the idea he wanted to present, find out that you don't really understand, go back and read it twice over, think again and then you might or might not get it still in the end. Sometimes, when I was reading the book, I had to cover part of the sentences to get the whole idea. Well, of course, he uses a lot of very difficult vocabulary too and also some American expressions that we outsiders can't really get it until, maybe if we have lived here for years and came into contact with these( not unlike our very own Manglish or Singlish which only ourselves can understand :p )
Alright, enough about the book. I've got nothing else interesting enough to mention here about the rest of the day. It was really a boring day though I managed to get something very important done. I met up with a pre-health professions advisor to get some advice on the courses that I'll be taking for the next semester. I'm glad I did. My first advisor was very incompetent. He advised me to take a course which after I met with this one, I was told that the course is unnecessary for pharmacy. I could've taken another course which is more important. So what I have to do now is to drop that unnecessary course and register for the more important course, which I'm not sure whether it's still opened or not. If it's not opened anymore, sigh, I'll have to wait till the next semester, and I would've wasted my money on unnecessary credits. Aihh...never mind la. At least now I know who should I approach for better counseling next time. We, who have nobody in front of us to tell us what to do, have to learn through trials and errors, and sometimes like this time, through the parting of money from our pockets ( or rather, my parent's pocket ).
Orientation Day was fine. I went alone but met some new friends to hang out with. People here are really friendly, especially the blacks. The white people, well, I had a feeling that two white girls in my group sort of looked at me with disdain, though they tried not to show it of course and also on another nerdy girl, as in seriously the nerdiest of nerds that I've ever seen before. But she's a person with a unique set of thinking which we all found out during the book discussion session and it certainly blew my mind away when she was talking ;) No bonding games, no group activities. It's an orientation modified to suit the local community needs as mostly everyone already knew somebody in the college. There was just the Presidential Convocation, welcoming us incoming freshmen and then we were sorted into classrooms randomly and there we met with our peer presenter, which is a senior year girl, Tiphanie. After some interaction session between us, a professor came in to lead the book discussion.
I don't think I ever did mention the book here before. The title is The Disappointment Artist by Jonathan Lethem. A collection of essays by him. My only opinion of it is that, if you are not born and bred in America, you'll find that it's a very tedious read. It's mostly Brooklyn-based as the writer lived in Brooklyn for most of his growing up stage. He had a set of very unique taste in movies, comics, as well as obsessions with certain things. And he has a very weird way of presenting his thoughts, not to mention his thoughts themselves too. He had to use a whole string of sentences to present one simple idea, twirling them around, back and forth, all jumbled up. That's his way of writing. Yeah I know, it's writer's license or whatever. He makes you think twice about the idea he wanted to present, find out that you don't really understand, go back and read it twice over, think again and then you might or might not get it still in the end. Sometimes, when I was reading the book, I had to cover part of the sentences to get the whole idea. Well, of course, he uses a lot of very difficult vocabulary too and also some American expressions that we outsiders can't really get it until, maybe if we have lived here for years and came into contact with these( not unlike our very own Manglish or Singlish which only ourselves can understand :p )
Alright, enough about the book. I've got nothing else interesting enough to mention here about the rest of the day. It was really a boring day though I managed to get something very important done. I met up with a pre-health professions advisor to get some advice on the courses that I'll be taking for the next semester. I'm glad I did. My first advisor was very incompetent. He advised me to take a course which after I met with this one, I was told that the course is unnecessary for pharmacy. I could've taken another course which is more important. So what I have to do now is to drop that unnecessary course and register for the more important course, which I'm not sure whether it's still opened or not. If it's not opened anymore, sigh, I'll have to wait till the next semester, and I would've wasted my money on unnecessary credits. Aihh...never mind la. At least now I know who should I approach for better counseling next time. We, who have nobody in front of us to tell us what to do, have to learn through trials and errors, and sometimes like this time, through the parting of money from our pockets ( or rather, my parent's pocket ).
Comments