A Happy New Year to Everyone!
The New Year of 2011 kicked off by counting down at Times Square with Zhiwei who was visiting New York for 8 days during the holiday season.
The exquisitely delicious Eileen's cheesecake seemed to be the perfect stop, even for a short-term visitor. I have to credit a friend for bringing me to this famous bakery (though I have forgotten whether it was siewlee or xianan who brought me there). I'm just glad my dear concubine Zhiwei enjoyed the cheesecake :)
The weekend after Zhiwei left, I started my first baking project of the year - Coconut Macaroons. It was inspired by the French macaroons that she bought at Soho area, and they tasted so good! Browsing around joyofbaking.com, I noticed that there is a recipe for the American macaroon, so I decided to try it out. They didn't turn out too bad, just a little overbaked :) I'll definitely be improving on them another time.
This weekend, I made bread for the first time! Well, not exactly your typical bread which needs baker's yeast. I made Chocolate Banana bread. Mom made me buy bananas so that SHE could make the banana bread, but she ended up being too tired so I took on the responsibility..hehe :D
Just in case you are wondering, I did not use the toaster oven that I kept featuring "accidentally" in my pictures to bake the stuff. We had a full oven at the other side of the kitchen which is a God-sent for baking needs :)
The thing I missed the most from last year?
Hanging out with people, most of all, my sister.
| New Year Snowmen sprung up in Central Park after the great NYC blizzard of 2010 |
The exquisitely delicious Eileen's cheesecake seemed to be the perfect stop, even for a short-term visitor. I have to credit a friend for bringing me to this famous bakery (though I have forgotten whether it was siewlee or xianan who brought me there). I'm just glad my dear concubine Zhiwei enjoyed the cheesecake :)
| Eileen's Cheesecake brought us all together |
The weekend after Zhiwei left, I started my first baking project of the year - Coconut Macaroons. It was inspired by the French macaroons that she bought at Soho area, and they tasted so good! Browsing around joyofbaking.com, I noticed that there is a recipe for the American macaroon, so I decided to try it out. They didn't turn out too bad, just a little overbaked :) I'll definitely be improving on them another time.
| Chocolate-dipped Coconut Macaroons |
This weekend, I made bread for the first time! Well, not exactly your typical bread which needs baker's yeast. I made Chocolate Banana bread. Mom made me buy bananas so that SHE could make the banana bread, but she ended up being too tired so I took on the responsibility..hehe :D
| Chocolate Banana Bread |
Just in case you are wondering, I did not use the toaster oven that I kept featuring "accidentally" in my pictures to bake the stuff. We had a full oven at the other side of the kitchen which is a God-sent for baking needs :)
The thing I missed the most from last year?
Hanging out with people, most of all, my sister.
Comments
missing u badly...but glad to get your blog updates..so make sure you keep it alive ya!
u seems like on your way to be a professional baker d! goooood, then maybe u can open a bakery shop with siew lee, which has been her dreams that we know since ages ago. :)
hope i get to try your masterpiece someday...hehe! wish you have a great year ahead, facing every obstacles with faith and strength.
xoxo, SY.
Yeah, opening a bakery with sl seems like a really, really good plan =D As of right now, I'm just planning to keep experimenting and hoping to sell them someday to earn some extra bucks :pppp
I wished I could mail some back to you (cos they are really that good ;) lol!!!)
love, SY :D