To tell the truth, Chinese New Year is more significant to me than the New Year that all of us have recently counted down to. This year will be my 5th Chinese New Year away from family and friends, away from the home of my heart. How I miss all the traditional festivities and the culturally unique ways of Malaysians and Singaporeans in celebrating the Chinese New Year. There are so many things, the big and small rituals alike, that I missed going through during this season. However, there is one thing that I've been craving for too long - Pineapple Tarts - that I could no longer resist NOT making this year.
 |
| Pineapple from Panama |
Thus, I embarked on a frantic search for tried and tested AND voted recipes for the traditional Malaysian-style Pineapple Tarts, which are somewhat different from those of Taiwanese origins. Luckily for me, there are predecessors of overseas Malaysians who also craved for the same melt-in-the-mouth-type Pineapple Tarts who shared their recipes on the internet. I combined two recipes that I gleaned off the net and started on my arduous project of making these tiny pineapple rolls, all for the name of Chinese New Year :)
There was first, the all-important pineapple filling that must be made before anything else can proceed. We bought 2 pineapples originated from Panama which were so sweet on their own! We did think that it was good omen (for the tarts at least). :D First, the pineapples had to be grated, the juice drained, and then the "remains" brought to a boil to make the pineapple jam. It was my first attempt in making jam of any sort, so I'm thankful that mom was there to guide me. I must say that the jam turned out really good, coming from a novice's hands :)
 |
| The pineapple jam-making process |
After the jam was made, the long and painful task of rolling out the shortbread dough and cutting them out into little rounds to wrap the pineapple filling began. I shall not elaborate too much on it, but it's sufficient to say that my inexperienced fingers made everything a mess at the beginning :p Anyway, I'm still happy with the results which came out of the oven :)
 |
| Raw batter ~~ Mouth-watering Pineapple Tarts |
This batch of Pineapple Tarts will be a Chinese New Year gift for friends. Hopefully they will enjoy it :)
 |
| Packed nicely to be gifted away |
For my friends who couldn't try my pineapple tarts, I still wish you a very happy and fulfilling Chinese New Year with family and friends. Love and miss you all <3
EDIT: Everyone enjoyed it! The entire box of tarts disappeared in within half an hour of the party :)
Comments