In Pursuit of Sunrise at Montauk

My cousin from Singapore came to visit us at Stony Brook, along with mom and other aunts last Friday. We woke up early Saturday morning in order to catch sunrise at Montauk Point Light House which is located at the eastern most end of Long Island. Well, as usual, we were running late, partly my fault as I was the last one to rise. Finally, we were all ready to go and set off on our 2 hour journey to Montauk at about 6:05am.

After a little over an hour, as I was driving along Montauk Highway, we saw the bright red sun rise up steadily from over the eastern end, and shone through the midst of bare trees lining the highway. It was really beautiful indeed, despite not being able to watch it rising from over the waters. I was instantly moved by these streams of thoughts: We chase and chase towards things and we never seem to make it. Wait, scratch that. I think it applies to me especially in terms of not having enough willpower to do it. How many sunrise will I be able to catch at this rate? Chasing after sunrise and sunsets among other things yet never being able to be there to watch them is the saddest part of all. It made me think of myself, how powerless am I against the Creator, against Time, against the course of Nature taking the path that It has been set on forth. Oh, how insignificant were my struggles compared to the great ticking Clock of God?

As I rushed along the highway, I realized that there was nothing more that I could do that will bring us there on time for sunrise, which was estimated to be at 7:17am. In the end, we arrived at the light house at about 7:52am. The sight was still arresting with the sun at about 30 degrees up in the sky. As everything was lit under its reddish gold rays, we strolled down some trails with the cold sea wind slapping against our faces and we came upon the snow covered rocks beside the ebbing tide with its mild waves coming against the rocks.

The adventurous nature in me kicked in and sis and I set off on the rocks and started hiking toward the light house. Before reaching the end though, sis had begun to feel afraid. To appease her, I had to stop venturing further as well. But that's all right, I have fallen in love with Montauk Point in its winter splendor. I will be back in the future; for more and more sunrises to come.

Silently I made a promise as I drove back along the highway that we came from, I shall use my every chance to watch every sunrise and every sunset that I can, in every place that I will set my feet on. Thank you Lord for creating such a beautiful universe with beauty beyond our imagination, with beauty that moves us beyond words. We can only sit back and watch Your works and praise You Lord Almighty!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homecoming!!

Praise Be To God...