My New Interest...
I don't know, I'm not sure yet..but, after learning about some basic principles of Nuclear Chemistry from my current chemistry course, I really like it very much. The topic itself is interesting enough with all the controversies going about, now with more knowledge about the undergoing chemical and physical processes, I'm even more curious about this particular area of science, and its applications in technology.
Maybe this is like a second 'Astronomy' to me? I remember being all psyched up about Astronomy the first time I read about it in primary school, and went on to research so much about it up till now. Gee, I even made it my personal ambition to become an astronomer when I was a kid back then. Every year when we had to fill up those blue/green/yellow cards (can't remember which) during primary school, at the section where we had to state at least 3 ambitions, being an astronomer was always my first choice. So hopefully, being a nuclear physicist/chemist WON'T be my first choice in life now (or even after I learn more about the field) :p
Most confusing of what I'm learning now, for me at least, is the units themselves. Let me show you what I mean:
1 Bq (Becquerel) = 1 disintegration per second
1 Ci (Curie) = 3.70 x 10^10 disintegration per second
Those are to measure radioactivity.
To measure radiation dose, tadaa!
1 Gy (Gray) = 1 J/kg
1 rad(radiation absorbed dose) = 1.00 x 10^-2 J/kg
==> 1 Gy = 100 rad
1 R (roentgen) = 93.3 J/g
rem(roentgen equivalent in man = quality factor x dose in rads
1 millirem = 10^-3 rem
1 Sv (sievert) = 100 rem
Okay I just copied those straight out of the textbook, but 1 Gy = 100 rad is easy enough to remember even if I can't remember what does rad stands for :p
Alrighty, enough 'boring' academic stuff from me here :p Got to retire for the night and continue to fight on tomorrow! :)
Maybe this is like a second 'Astronomy' to me? I remember being all psyched up about Astronomy the first time I read about it in primary school, and went on to research so much about it up till now. Gee, I even made it my personal ambition to become an astronomer when I was a kid back then. Every year when we had to fill up those blue/green/yellow cards (can't remember which) during primary school, at the section where we had to state at least 3 ambitions, being an astronomer was always my first choice. So hopefully, being a nuclear physicist/chemist WON'T be my first choice in life now (or even after I learn more about the field) :p
Most confusing of what I'm learning now, for me at least, is the units themselves. Let me show you what I mean:
1 Bq (Becquerel) = 1 disintegration per second
1 Ci (Curie) = 3.70 x 10^10 disintegration per second
Those are to measure radioactivity.
To measure radiation dose, tadaa!
1 Gy (Gray) = 1 J/kg
1 rad(radiation absorbed dose) = 1.00 x 10^-2 J/kg
==> 1 Gy = 100 rad
1 R (roentgen) = 93.3 J/g
rem(roentgen equivalent in man = quality factor x dose in rads
1 millirem = 10^-3 rem
1 Sv (sievert) = 100 rem
Okay I just copied those straight out of the textbook, but 1 Gy = 100 rad is easy enough to remember even if I can't remember what does rad stands for :p
Alrighty, enough 'boring' academic stuff from me here :p Got to retire for the night and continue to fight on tomorrow! :)
Comments
ya~back to old days..u're really darn crazy in astronomy. so passionate in it that we thought of buying u astronomy books for birthday. :P
those were the days.. *hugz*